Some of the most special people in my life are fellow yogis. Friends I’ve made in class, teachers that have guided me through tough personal challenges on the mat and trainers that have unlocked my potential as a teacher and a therapist.
For most teachers (and humans in general), 2020 has not been a kind year. It’s been a year full of change, uncertainty and for all of us, heartache. So, as we enter this season of giving, we’d love for you to consider giving to your favorite yogi friend, teacher or therapist. And giving doesn’t necessarily need to cost very much in monetary terms, it’s simply allowing the person to feel thought of, held in mind and supported.
$ Low cost ideas
- Offer to teach a class or day of classes for them for free while they enjoy the day off while still being paid.
- Surprise them with a small bunch of pretty flowers picked from your garden, wrapped in some ribbon you have at home. Attach a small card letting them know what you admire about them and the role they have played in making your 2020 better.
- Ask those that are taught by them and/or know them to send you a one-minute video each explaining what they most appreciate about him/her. Using an editing tool like Canva, put these videos together into a keepsake digital video that is bound to fill their heart with gratitude and joy.
- Gift them a book you love but no longer need. Write a special note to them on the inside.
$$ Medium cost ideas
- Bake them your favorite sweet treat and place in a glass jar with a ribbon and a card with an inspiring quote or scripture you know they’ll love (some ideas: date balls, fudge, chocolate chip biscuits, vegan rusks).
- Using essential oils you have on hand at home, mix your favorite restful blend with some fractionated coconut oil in a glass roller bottle. Filled with a sprinkling of gemstone chips makes for a beautiful, thoughtful gift!
- Purchase a devotional or journal for them to start off 2021 with.
- Purchase a months’ pass to their classes for a friend interested in yoga (double win!)
$$$ Pricier treats
- Book a spa morning at your favorite local day spa for them – a massage and utter relaxation is bound to fill their tank!
- Purchase a training for them that you know they will love or have had their eye on (perhaps even tickets to a conference you know they would love).
- Gift them four classes to a new hobby you think they would love to try out (ideas: pottery, macramé, samba dancing, horse riding lessons).
- Gift them and their partner a date night – uber ride, cocktails and dinner included!
We hope this has inspired you to invest in those wonderful yogis you love in this season of giving. They hold space consistently. 2020 has required lots of this, while they too have not been immune to the challenges that have plagued most of us. Let’s show them some much-needed love and hope! Let’s be the hands and feet of Jesus in our local yoga community. Let’s lift their spirits as they and we look forward to a much better season.