Did you know practicing yoga can help your body naturally defend against sickness? If you do find yourself sick (because let’s face it, some things are just unavoidable) yoga may even shorten the length of many illnesses.
Lack of rest, poor nutrition, dehydration and excessive stress are all factors that increase the body’s vulnerability to sickness. When an illness is contracted, antibiotics and other medications are often prescribed to help the body recuperate from the ailment. What those medications fail to do, however, is increase the body’s immunity. That’s where yoga comes in!
- Conditioning the lungs and respiratory tract
- Lessening inflammation throughout the body
- Eliminating toxins from the body by stimulating the lymphatic system
- Increasing oxygenated blood to various organs, ensuring their optimal function
- Lowering stress hormones that compromise the immune system
“Yoga is unlike other forms of exercise that focus only on certain parts of the body,” says Kathleen Fry, M.D., president of the American Holistic Medicine Association in Scottsdale, Arizona. “Yoga works on everything.”
Here are some simple poses to aide in keeping your immune system in tip top shape:
- Seated Spinal Twist – Activates the secondary organs of the immune system
- Child Pose – Effective in decongestion and relaxation
- Downward Facing Dog – Encourages movement of white blood cells that help prevent infection
- Bridge Pose – Boosts energy by improving blood circulation
- Seated Forward Bend – Diminishes lethargy and anxiety
- Plow Pose – Stimulates the thyroid gland and strengthens the nervous system
If the threat of sickness is weighing on your mind, grab your mat and give your immune system a well-deserved boost!
If you are looking for a way to incorporate yoga into your day from home, we are currently offering 30 free days of Holy Yoga TV! Click the image below to start streaming now.